Tuesday, 4 November 2014

COMME des GARCONS

THE BEGINNING 

I was very excited when I saw my name on the paper title COMME des GARCONS.  I was attracted to Comme initially because of its attitude. I respect the way Comme presents itself as a brand, I like how they are particular about their image and don't care about publicity for the sake of publicity. Comme are after making an impact and a statement they want you to feel something that you would not relate to fashion, and that is exactly why I chose it. I put Prada as a back up.

I was excited when I saw my team, mostly because all the members of my group have reputations for being hard workers and passionate about their work. Those are the kind of qualities I find admirable and desirable for team mates or co-workers.

To kick start our project we were given two quotes. We then dissected these quotes, interpreting them and choosing our favourite aspects, words and phrases.

1. 'There are massive gaps in this essay, it is broken and re-wound, not always knowing and yet searching. Respond, Exchange, Converse. Be a traveler in this novel, Even if only for a while.'

2. 'All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and men at last are forced to face with sober sense the conditions of their lives and their relations with other men.' The Communist Manifesto

We all decided to focus in on the particular word "profane." We began looking at this word in its literal sense 'to treat something sacred with irrelevance or disrespect. So we began thinking about religion and decided this idea was to bland and too obvious and obvious is not very Comme, we did all our work with the brand we are trying to represent in the back of our mind. We began digging into the idea of black magic and witches who are definitely considered outcast from society. We zoomed into this idea of being an out cast from societey. Gypsies and homeless people were what came to mind first. We thought about this idea of not having a home as most people know it to be free. The idea of freedom from society seemed like a very positive and happy thing to us.  We decided that our theme would be to do with gypsies and free outcast from society.

We sourced out ideas from many different places and our initial concept board was very overwhelming and crowded. This gave the start of our project a little bit of a slow start because everyone felt as though we were on different pages we needed to solidify our idea. It was there but it was buried in between a whole bunch of other ideas. To solve this problem we took only a few of our favourite images and put them together into a little group concept board.


ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 

Each member of our group has a different role and responsibility for the project. There are two mens wear designers, two womens wear designers, and two promoters.

My personal role is as a promoter. I will create ad's and also a short film. My goal is to create something that represents all the designers as a whole and also to create the atmosphere and feeling of our theme and mood. Also I want to make people uncomfortable and present something that is unexpected. If we can create and present something unexpected I will feel like we were successful and personally be happy about the work.


No comments:

Post a Comment